Content

Too close and Unprepared

Tuesday, November 22, 2011


I have been informed about the blooming of Tiger Orchid in a friend's garden 2 days ago. Took a peek at the flowers yesterday afternoon but lighting was not good, so I went back to his garden this morning. As I moved closer to look at the flower, an Olive-backed Sunbird flew in and perched on a Heliconia bract to feed on the nectar. It was so sudden, I only had my wide-angle lens attached to the DSLR body. My 300mm lens is still in my bag next to me. I keep observing the bird and amazed by the beautiful colors. After 30 seconds of admiring at the bird, I decided to change the lens. It was still around when I finally got the telephoto attached to the camera body. Took couple of shots but 90% blur due to hand shake. Oh well, better luck next time!

Send Enquiry / Make a Booking

Name: *
E-mail Address: *
Subject: *
Message: *
Contact Form provided by SmartAddon.com
Powered by Blogger.

Birds & Wildlife in Malaysia

About Me

I'm a bird watcher, digiscoper, photographer and a licensed nature guide. Welcome to my 'A Malaysian Birder' blog. I will post my bird sightings and photographs on this blog. I started bird watching while studying in university. After graduating with a degree in forestry specializing in parks and recreation management, I have been attached to the parks and gardens industry. My past work experiences involve conducting environmental education program, bird watching and many more.

Bird Watching Tours

There are quite a number of birding groups from Australia, United States and United Kingdom that come over to Malaysia annually visiting the traditional key sites that include Kuala Selangor, Fraser's Hill and Taman Negara. There is not doubt that the 3 sites are the preferred birding sites in Peninsular Malaysia. So if you are coming over for birding and intend to hire a guide, you can send me an email at nature2pixel@gmail.com and go over to posting section to view photos and summary of trip reports with testimonials from past clients.

Besides following the traditional route, I also customized trip according to clients needs, preference and interests. So there are some local patches that I can introduce to all bird watchers, digiscopers and photographers.

Equipment

I use a spotting scope from Omicron for my bird guiding trips and digiscoping. You can get more information from their website at http://omicron-optics.com The spotting scope is placed on a Feisol tripod and Manfrotto 701 video head. This is an ideal setup for me due to its light weight. A customized eyepiece adapter to my Nikon P5100 was fabricated by Cheang Kum Seng from Ipoh, Perak. Very useful during my guiding trips because I get to take photos of birds sighted and post them on my Nature2pixel website. Binocular is the most essential tools for bird watching and guiding. I used to have a Minox 8x42 but have given it to a friend since I upgraded to Nikon 8x42 Monarch. Update: May 2014 - Could be time for me to upgrade to a Kowa 10x42 BD XD which is more compact? I came across this website showing a review of the Nikon D4S at http://www.aaronstours.com

Recommended Field Guides